Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

House of Prayer No. 2- Mark Richard

44 pages in and I'm out...

Unfortunately, I was unable to finish this book. I started it several weeks ago and after struggling to finish the first 44 pages I just couldn’t do it anymore. The author’s use of 2nd person narrative is distracting from the story. I didn’t like reading “you” when I couldn’t relate to his story. He talks about tragic events and terrible things in such a nonchalant way that it feels so impersonal. I read a book for insight into the way things make other people feel and the author mentions these things in passing like they are inconsequential when to me they seem so tragic. So I found it very unrelatable. I think the writing is great and the author’s story is one worth hearing, but the style of the book bothered me too much. I would like to give this book another try later, especially after reading some other reviews that say it’s worth finishing, but right now I’m ready to move on to something else. This was an advanced copy sent to me from the publisher and LIbrarything.com.    

No comments:

Post a Comment